Multipurpose Cultural Centres
I-ART promotes the construction and networking of Cultural Centres Multipurpose –CCM (Centri Culturali Polivalenti – CCP), realized inside very prestigious municipal buildings open to public, already restored, staffed, fully functional, useable and conform with the activities offered.
This allows on one side to create low-cost integrated services essential for the development of contemporary art in all areas, on the other to extend new functions of structures, often of high cultural value, already restored with funds from the previous programming, but that show an enormous potential from further achievable activities.
Thus the action does not intend to propose a further restoration and conversion of a single property, but the networking with integrated services of 23 properties in all Sicilian provinces previously restored.
The CCM (CCP) are centres for the delivering of services related to contemporary art and have been selected to be distributed throughout all the provinces in Sicily.
In detail, the CCM (CCP) will be made in the following places and buildings:
City of Catania: inside “Culture Palace” (Palazzo della Cultura) ex Convent S. Placido
The Culture House was born as “Palazzo Gentilizio” in ‘400s and after 1693 earthquake becomes “the Convent S. Placido”. The restoration and requalification of the convent has not only been a task of building restoration, but a real intervention of relevant cultural value that has restored the original architectural identity to one of the most significant convent in the city. The cloister hosts outdoor summer performances of great artistic importance, and local sites on the ground floor, host temporary expositions and international exhibitions.
City of Taormina: ex Church of Carmine
Baroque style building of elliptical octagonal shape, the church was built 1662 as St. Mary of the Greeks with annexed the convent of the Carmelite Friars. The convent was destroyed several times by the Saracens’ plunders; then it was completely demolished by bombing in 1943. The Church, with an area of 370 sqm, has recently been restored with funds of the Region Sicily and is not open for worship. It is a municipal property and it is used as auditorium or place for exhibitions and events.
City of Misterbianco: ex Monaco Factory
The building, recently renovated, aims to become a big CCM (CCP) with a large exhibition area, classrooms and laboratories. The restructuring of the factory, including its old furnace, and the adaptation to the community’s actual cultural needs, are a reflection on the traditions and on the identity of the country, in a sustainable development perspective.
City of Piazza Armerina: in the Exhibition Centre "Monte Prestami"
The Exhibition Centre Monte Prestami is located in the centre of the town and is the back part of the Palace of the Senate. Active as credit institution until the mid-twentieth century and later abandoned, the Exhibition Centre was opened in June 2009 and it represents an area of great cultural interest for citizenship. The Centre hosts in its spacious vaulted halls, which have got inside n ancient medieval well, a permanent exhibition market of local products and temporary exhibitions of long duration. The upper part, which was the setting in where it was delivered credit, is currently closed, but it was designed the restoration as Credit Pledge Museum.
City of Santa Ninfa inside Social Centre
The 115 sqm structure overall, has got big spaces and classrooms. The Centre also houses inside the Public Library, the Museum of Emigration of Sicily and Nino Cordio Museum, a Sicilian engraver, sculptor and painter, who has left his hometown a lot of his artworks.
City of Sambuca di Sicilia: Panitteri Palace
Panitteri Palace is one of the most important and ancient buildings in Sambuca. The top floor is home of the Ethno-Anthropological Museum of Earth Zabut and inside it is set the reconstruction of the Literary Salon of 800s in Sambuca, with in size wax statues depicting famous figures of Renaissance Age. On the ground floor the rooms are used for displaying and tasting of typical, local products. They are also the office of the Sicilian Regional Coordination of Roads and Routes of Wine in Sicily, and, at the same time, and of Wine Lands Sicane.
City of Calatafimi Segesta: ex San Francesco Convent
The Minor Friars founded the building in 1543 in a market, as expression of social life. Later used as a public school, the building has recently been readapted and houses inside the Ethno-Anthropological Museum.
City of Sutera: Building at 37, Sant'Agata Place
It is a Touristic Office inside the Town hall.
City of Modica: inside "Ex Copai" Palace
Co.Ca.Center of Contemporary Art office, it is a historical building placed in the centre in Corso Umberto I; property and availability are of the Municipality.
City of Favignana: Florio Palace
The palace, which hostes Florio Family during tuna fishery periods, was built in 876 by the architect Giuseppe Damiani Almeyda and it is one of the symbols of the island and a great example of Liberty style.
Municipality of Lucca Sicula (Union of Alto Verdura and Gebbia Municipalities): in the House of Elderly
City of Valderice: rooms in Excelsior Mill
Group of buildings in which was made the milling of wheat: Excelsior Mill, is nowadays adapted for conferences, conventions, food and wine festivals, tasting events, wine tasting and educational projects for children and teenagers.
City of Rodì Milici: inside the Antiquarium Museum
Museum and cultural area for various artistic shows.
City of Pozzallo: Culture Space Meno Assenza
A cutting-edge cultural space, for various exhibitions, expositions and cultural events.
City of Motta Camastra: building in Via Roma (map sheet n° 18)
Space inside Alcantara Park, in a restoration area and next to the amphitheatre, useful for the project.
City of Galati Mamertino: lower secondary school
Area inside the Lower Secondary School.
City of Ragusa: Cultural Services Centre, in via Generale Diaz
City of Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto: areas in the ex Railway Station
The whole area of the old railway junction has recently been readapted to realize a big urban park and to give new functions to the whole building complex. This is a new urban identity that starts from the reuse, giving innovative cultural services. It puts these spaces as natural location to bring the city to contemporary art.
City of Castelvetrano: Sant'Agostino
The church, dating the last 500s, has got a single nave. Partially destroyed during the 68 earthquake, it has been restored and it is now used for exhibitions and conventions.
Municipalities of Geraci Siculo (SO.SVI.MA SPA – Madonie Agency for Local Development): ex Convent of Padri Cappuccini
The building presents a horseshoe shape with a large central courtyard. On the left there is the 18th century Church, where it is still possible to see small pieces of fine stuccos, on the right the refectory with, on the wall, two 18th century frescoes depicting the Last Supper and the Crucifixion. Upstairs a myriad of small cells served as a dormitory to the religious. Today the building has been restored to its splendor.
Municipality of Canicattini Bagni (Union of Iblei Valley Municipalities): Museum of Senses and Stone Art
The Senses Museum seems as a database of sensorial experiences that serve as a basis for interactive fruitions in context of artistic events. The Museum of Senses and Stone Art, with its routes through the five senses (sight, hearing, touch, taste and smell) is aimed at the knowledge of history, popular culture and local traditions. The Museum is the ideal place for Social Tourism, with its paths for blinds, for people without hearing, for the elderly and especially for educational purposes.
City of Naro (PRO.PI-TER Agency South-central Sicily SPA): Chiaramontean Castle
Declared a national monument since 1912, the castle was built during the XII century by Chiaramonte, on the ruins of an earlier structure of Arabic origin. The castle, which occupies an area of 1460 sqm and has a perimeter of 166m, has been restored and now houses a museum and areas dedicated to cultural activities.